This recipe has been in our kitchen for a few years. Since first introduced by our dear friend Grant in Canada, it has had many variations.
The recipe is quite simple and is fully customizable, so keep your mind and taste buds super creative.
500g Rolled Oats
1-2 cups of mixed nuts and fruit (feel free to be creative here and add whatever our heart desires). I used Delux Nibble Mix form Scoops Wholefoods.
2-3 tablespoons of Chia Seeds
Pinch of sea salt. (I love the combination of slightly salty and sweet taste.)
5-6 spoons of melted Organic Coconut Oil
2 tablespoons of Organic Coconut Syrup. This ingredient is must as it gives the granola a nice different sweet taste and nice darker colour.
2 tablespoons of raw cacao (optional)
2 tablespoons of cinnamon (optional)
2 tablespoons of dry shredded coconut (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Place baking paper on the bottom of the baking tray.
- Place oats into a large mixing bowl and mix all the ingredients together. The mixture should be slightly moist and oily from the coconut oil. If it feels dry, add more melted coconut oil.
- Place the first layer of the granola – 1 cm thick onto the baking tray and bake for 10-15 mins. The time really varies depending on your oven. The trick here is to keep an eye and your nose on the granola. The moment it starts to smell like popcorn, take it out. With a fork or spatula break the granola and let it cool down.
- Once cooled down, place the granola into a jar and repeat the process with the remaining mixture.
Make your breakfast creative. I love to add fresh blueberries, mango, coconut yogurt or sprinkle granola on the top of my smoothie. Options are endless.